Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Expressing Decisions, Intentions and Plans

Expressing Decisions, Intentions and Plans

The most common and everyday expressions in our daily interactions are decisions, plans, and intentions. Ofter we learners get confused as to what are grammatically correct structures to express ourselves and not get embarrassed amidst standard English speakers and score the best in our Academic and standardized tests like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE tests. 

Expressing decisions in the affirmative involves the following expressions:


1. I think I'll + bare infinitive (v1) + object => I think I'll buy a new car.

2. Maybe I'll + bare infinitive (v1) + object => Maybe I'll buy a new car.

3. Perhaps I'll + bare infinitive (v1) + object => Perhaps I'll buy a new car.

Expressing decisions in the negative involves the following expressions:


1. I don't think I'll + bare infinitive (v1) + object => I don't think I'll buy a new car.

2. Maybe I won't + bare infinitive (v1) + object => Maybe I won't buy a new car.

3. Perhaps I won't+ bare infinitive (v1) + object => Perhaps I won't buy a new car.

Similarly, when we express our intentions and plans, we use the following expressions and structures. These expressions are usually practised in the affirmative and are less likely to be used in the negative.

Expressing intentions and plans in the affirmative involves the following expressions and structures:

1. I'm intending + to-infinitive (to+v1) + object => I 'm intending to buy a new car.

2. I'm planning + to-infinitive (to+v1) + object => I'm planning to buy a new car.

3. I'm thinking of gerund (v4) + object => I'm thinking of buying a new car.

4. I'm going + to-infinitive + object => I'm going to buy a new car.

Expressing intentions and plans in the negative involves the following expressions and structures:


1. I'm intending + not+ to-infinitive (to+v1) + object => I 'm intending not to buy a new car.

2. I'm planning + not + to-infinitive (to+v1) + object => I'm planning not to buy a new car.

3. I'm not thinking of gerund (v4) + object => I'm not thinking of buying a new car.

4. I'm not going + to-infinitive + object => I'm not going to buy a new car.

Care must be taken while expressing plans and intentions in the negative using verbs like intend and plan, as in 1 and 2 above.

Now test your understanding by completing this 50-50 quiz.

The End

BBC cares for you

Featured Post

NEW COURSE English Reading and Writing

NEW COURSE English  (Reading and Writing) Time: 3 Hours                                                                                 ...

Popular Post