Thursday, January 10, 2019

Ifs and Buts

Ifs and Buts


If I were born in a country,
Where peace prevailed, freedom fostered.
But peace’s become a distant dream
And freedom, a forgotten friend!


 If I were brought up in a place,
Where laws obeyed, justice ruled.
But they’re blatantly ridiculed,
Justice in markets bought and sold!


If I worked in a country,
Where work’s worshipped, honesty paid.
But work’s become blasphemous
And honesty’s famished tremendous!


If I served an institution,
That justly assessed my hard work.
But that’s favoured the sycophant
And judged me an utter impudent!


If I could persuade my students,
That creativity was honoured.
But they quipped, “You aren’t well dressed,
Creativity--Just non-existent!!”


If I had a people honest,
That shared the pains and pleasures
With the high and low of neighbours.
But that stabbed behind another’s back!


If I had the leaders with vision,
And work to change the nation.
But decades past, yet hunger ruled
And they’re swollen—people thinned!


If I had a bureaucracy
Free from political bigotry.
But many admit, “It’s corrupt,
And smeared and tainted in bribe!”


If I had the VCs and metropolis,
That could plan and polish the dwelling areas.
But everywhere there is a mess-
Open manholes, ditches and darkness!


If I had the police agile,
That delayed not a public case file.
But on the loose are the miscreants
And they say, “We’re on our full efforts!”


If I had the bankers with belief,
For the needy, hand some relief.
But you need a big guarantee
Let alone, the needy refugee!


If I had the teachers caring,
Who taught pupils, the value of sharing.
But they are specially trained,
To teach and train, but education.


If I had the doctors praiseworthy,
Who served the sick--not the money.
But the certificates are bought
To attend the rich for some nougat!


If I had the drivers and helpers,
Who drove sensibly for commuters.
But the race on the highway snake
Putting innocent lives at stake!


If I had the youth resourceful,
That despised brain drain—called shameful.
But dependency and idleness
Have drowned them into the abyss!


Had all these wishes been granted,
I would have my visa cancelled!
But I know they aren’t going to
’Cause I’ve seen the decades too!!!

By Jaya Narayan Bhusal
(Composed out of desperation in 2001, when the Maoist Insurgency was at its peak)

BBC cares for you

Featured Post

NEW COURSE English Reading and Writing

NEW COURSE English  (Reading and Writing) Time: 3 Hours                                                                                 ...

Popular Post